Archive For The “Dartmouth to Oban” Category

May 25 – Ardfern to Oban (30nm)

By | May 25, 2012

Left Ardfern for Oban – Dunstaffnnage marina – in full sun shine and gusty winds. Heading for the Dorus Mor – then through opposite the notorious Corryvreckan whirlpool. Fortunately for us it was a calm day and we had worked out the tides so we survived! A quick Slalom through some minor islands with off […]

Read more »

May 24 – Port Ellen to Ardfern (46nm)

By | May 25, 2012

After a pleasant walk around Port Ellens charming harbour we left for Craobh Haven marina some 50nm north. The day was blisteringly hot and with zero wind. Spectacular mountains all around, the Paps of Jura in particular, meant that we had great views as we motored on. We were due to pickup some northerly tide […]

Read more »

May 23 – Glenarm to Port Ellen (Islay) 50 nm

By | May 23, 2012

Off to Port Ellen on Islay! Left Glenarm in about 0.5 mile visibility at 11:30. Tide was due to turn at 13:00 so we needed to be on our way if we were to get to Port Ellen 50nm away. Visibility reduced further once outside the marina so radar and AIS were used for most […]

Read more »

May 22 – Bangor to Glenarm (30nm)

By | May 22, 2012

A good sailing day. We left Bangor after and were soon gybing down wind with true winds of 15 knots and the tide behind us. Sun shining but fog patches and fast ferries, coming in and out of Larn, made it more interesting. Wind held out until we were just of the entrance to Glenarm […]

Read more »

May 21 – Ardglass to Bangor 33nm

By | May 21, 2012

Left Ardglass under clear blue sky but with zero wind. Another day of mainly motor-sailing but at least we are making progress north. We have been on passage now for 10 days out of our 17 days in total. The rest being days waiting for decent weather. Last night we talked with two guys from […]

Read more »

May 20 – Carlingford to Ardglass 30nm

By | May 20, 2012

We set off at 10am Sunday under a cloudy sky dressed in full wet weather gear. By midday the sun had come out, the sky was blue and the sunglasses were on. Summer has arrived. Carlingford Lough was flat calm and a different world from the seething mass of water the day before. A gentle […]

Read more »

May 19 – Second Day stuck in Carlingford Marina

By | May 19, 2012

Our second day stuck in Carlingford marina has brought blustery but dropping wind conditions. The forecast is good for tomorrow, light NE going easterly so we will make our escape on to Ardglass; 20 nm up the coast and in Northern Ireland. Yesterday was spent visiting the small tourist town of Carlingford. It is interesting […]

Read more »

May 18 – Stuck in Carlingford Marina

By | May 18, 2012

Strong NE wind on the nose has forced another day in Carlingford Marina. We ventured out, bound for Ardglass, but the prospect of 6hrs motoring with wind square on the nose soon had us securely tied up again! Dawn Treader back in Carlingford Marina The weather is due to blow this evening so we are […]

Read more »

May 17 – Malahide to Carlingford Lough (46nm)

By | May 17, 2012

After a short run yesterday from Dun Lagoharie to Malahide we set off today (Thurs 17 May) for Carlingford Lough – 46nm up the coast. Malahide is lively place with a friendly yacht club an a large number of places to eat. We can recommend the Mexican restuarant on the front near the yacht club. […]

Read more »

May 16 – Off to Malahide

By | May 16, 2012

Boat Jobs Day off in Dun Laoghaire yesterday (Tue) due to howling winds outside. Lots of jobs todo on the boat including fixing the loo which was playing up and backfilling. A quick replacement of the ‘joker valve’ sorted it out. Dublin Trip Took the Dart train into Dublin centre and had lunch and a […]

Read more »